So you have a USB Flash Drive and you wanted to format it, but got stucked by the “The disk is write protected” warning message on your screen? It’s nothing to worry about, you will learn how to format stubborn USB Flash Drives in few easy steps.
1. Run Regedit.exe
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\control\
3. Search for StorageDevicePolicies, double click the key WriteProtect in the right panel of Regedit.exe and set the value from 1 to 0 In the Value Data Box and save settings.
4. Exit Regedit.exe panel and reboot your system
You couldn’t find StorageDevicePolicies? Here is a little extra thing you can do.
We will try to create a new key;
1. Right-Click the Control folder to reveal a new option, Click KEY
2. Rename folder to StorageDevicePolicies
3. Right-Click the folder and choose New > DWORD
4. Rename the folder to WriteProtect and set its value to 0
Close Regedit.exe panel and reboot your system
If you followed the tutorial successfully, you should effectively format write protected USB Flash drives without stress.